Friday, May 31, 2013

Kneady Cats


So, I’ve been writing an awful lot about dogs lately, mainly because that is my expertise, however I do know a little about Cats and many of my friends have asked me to write about them.  I always was a cat person before we started rescuing dogs.  In my e-mail box the other day was an e-mail from PetFinder asking if I ever wondered why cats knead.  Of course, being a cat person, I was very interested.  Then a light went off in my head…blog material.  J  So here is my interpretation of several articles exploring the theory of why cats knead.
 

 
It seems that cats knead for many reasons.  To show contentment or alleviate stress, to create a soft space to sleep, to generate nourishment (nursing kittens), and to mark their territory.

That last one kind or threw me, but cats have scent glands in their feet.  So when they knead, the secret a scent to mark their turf.  Does that mean that since my cat was always kneading on me, they were marking me as theirs?  J  From what I read…Yep it sure does.



Now Pet MD says that one of the reasons is that your cat is returning the affection you are giving them.  They also say that this is one way cats keep themselves limber between naps.  J  That one cracked me up, because it is true.  One thing I learned here though is that female cats will knead just before going into heat as a way to let male cats know she is ready, willing, and able.  Hmmm  Good thing my female cat was spayed…as all of yours should be.

While researching this topic I came across a website called Why Do Cats Purr.  They also have some information on why cats knead. Their information is pretty much the same as the other’s I’ve read, but I thought some of you might be interested in reading their information on why cats purr.



I loved it when my cats would lay on me and purr and knead.  It was as comforting to me as it was to them.  However, my cats were declawed on their front claws.  If your cat isn’t declawed, then sometimes this isn’t so comforting for you or your furniture.  Keeping your cats nails trimmed will help with this. 

If this behavior is something you want to dissuade your cat from doing you can train them not to by gently moving them off your lap or furniture when they start or distracting them.  You don’t want to punish your cat for kneading as this is just a natural behavior.  Screaming at them or hitting them is BAD behavior on your part.  Patience will always persevere.  J

Be Well & Be Happy,
Pet~Pourri

1 comment:

  1. Cool information there and I like the GIFs. Even though I am not a cat person I like to read about lots of other animals- thank you!
    Dina Mon

    ReplyDelete