Friday, January 10, 2014

Vaccinations for Cats ~ Safe??


 
I received a newsletter in my e-mail box today and the title of this particular article caught my attention.  If you MUST vaccinate, aim for this body part.  The Must Vaccinate is what caught my attention because there is a lot of controversy over whether all those vaccinations are really necessary.  Well reading this article makes me never want to get my cat vaccinated again.  I had no clue vaccinations could cause cancer. 
 
According to this article Rabies vaccinations and Feline Leukemia (FeLV) vaccinations may cause cancer.  The article says normally Rabies is given in the right rear and FeLV in the left rear legs, below the knee for easy amputation if cancer appears. 
 
 
 
The cancer is called Feline Vaccine-associated Sarcoma and is a malignant tumor associated with the vaccines.  There is a study mentioned in this article that suggests giving the vaccines in the tip of the tail.  If a tumor does develop it is easier to treat and not as disfiguring as amputation of a leg.
 
 
 
I can tell you the first two paragraphs of this article scared the bejesus out of me.  I had no clue.  I’m fortunate as to have never had this problem with any of my cats.  This newsletter is from a doctor who is into holistic medicine so I also wanted to see what other sources said.  PetMD agrees with this article, although they don’t give the tail as an alternative location for the vaccines.  They just say don’t over vaccinate.
 
The first article is the only one I can find that suggests giving the vaccines in the tail as opposed to the leg.  I like Dr. Becker’s approach because she is more worried about what vaccines a cat actually needs rather than where to give the vaccine.  Her guidelines are:
 
“If your pet truly needs a booster of a certain vaccine or a vaccine she’s never received, make sure that 1) the vaccine is for a serious disease (this eliminates many on the list immediately), 2) your cat may be in a position to be exposed to the disease (indoor cats have little to no exposure to most diseases), and 3) the vaccine is considered both safe and effective.”
 
 
 
I agree that indoor cats are not going to be exposed to many of the dangers an outdoor cat is exposed to.  Indoor cats don’t need all those vaccinations.  As always, do your research before vaccinating your pet.  If your vet recommends annual vaccinations, you might want to shop around for a new vet.
 
Your animals rely on you to give them the best treatment available.  Be aware of any issues so that you can be the best pet parent you can.
 
 
 
Be Well & Be Happy,
Pet~Pourri

3 comments:

  1. I never knew that vaccines for cats may cause cancer before reading your post. I believe that when the kittens are not properly vaccinated, they are at risk of infection from life threatening diseases that are easily prevented with proper and timely vaccination. I suppose, I should learn more regarding this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Khăn bandana chuyên sản xuất và bán lẻ các sản phẩm khăn bandana, khăn turban, khăn ống đa năng, chân váy chống nắng... với rất nhiều mẫu mã đa dạng và phong phú. Ngoài ra, chúng tôi còn nhận đặt gia công, sản xuất các mặt hàng quà tặng khăn, nơ, caravat....cho Local Brand, đồng phục, quảng cáo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the article on very interesting and meaningful content. You can refer to some of our services: Cứu hộ xe máyCứu hộ xe máy VespaCứu hộ xe máy quận Kiến AnSửa xe máySửa xe gần đây Call now: 0941.775.222 for the best support.

    ReplyDelete