Wednesday, January 22, 2014

To Kiss...or...Not to Kiss




Do you kiss your dog or cat or other pets?  Now be honest…admit it…you do don’t you?  How can you resist those fuzzy noses?  I’ve read a couple articles however that make me wonder if it is ‘safe’ to do so.  Knowing me…I will probably never stop kissing my puppies, but there is a concern about diseases being spread between pets & humans and humans & pets. 



Dr. Marty Becker, of Dr. Oz and Good Morning America fame, wrote this article this past Sunday, Jan 12th.  To Kiss or Not to Kiss…that is the questions.  There are articles in favor of kissing and articles against kissing.  The concern is that you could catch something from your pet or your pet can catch something from you.



Now don’t get me wrong, if I see my pet eating something disgusting or cleaning himself, I most definitely am Not going to kiss them.  J  However when I get home from a long day at the office my favorite thing to do is give Elke, Sangha, Sophie, Yoda, Misty, and Winter kisses.  The other pups in the rescue are not much into kissing so we settle for a pat on the head.  J 



Here are some of the concerns I have read about in this article from Cesar’s Way.  Believe it or not, kissing your dog can lead to gum disease.  Yes…really…click the link if you don’t believe me.  It goes on to say that “The bottom line is this: as adorable as those doggie kisses may be, they may give us more than we asked for in the form of gum disease”.



Speaking of gum disease…did you know February is National Pet Dental Health Month?  If you haven’t done so already, get your pets in for a dental checkup.  Bad teeth can lead to heart disease, kidney disease, and sometimes even diabetes.



Back to the kissing issue.  I like Dr. Becker’s assessment better.  He says “Kiss away…with caution”.  When asked what his thoughts were is says “When's the last time you ever heard or read of a veterinarian dying of a zoonotic disease or having no teeth from dental disease?”  I say kiss away…and brush your teeth often.  J

I conducted a non-scientific poll on my Facebook page.  I asked a simple question.  Do you kiss your pets?  The overwhelming response was Yes.  Although many said not on the mouth or no tongue.  That made me chuckle because one of my dogs, no matter how tightly I seal my lips will inevitably get his tongue in my mouth.  I do draw the line at french kisses.  LOL

Be Well & Be Happy,
Pet~Pourri



1 comment:

  1. Great info there! I do kiss and I doubt I will ever stop!

    Dina Mom

    ReplyDelete