Friday, August 16, 2013

What Is In A Name??




Have a new pet?  Having trouble coming up with a name for your new pet?  I came across this article with some great ideas based on musical icons.  When I first moved out on my own, the first thing I did was get two kittens.  I was on a King Arthur kick back then.  I named them Merlin and Lancelot.  I later had to change Lancelot’s name to Morgana when I found out he was a she.  J

 



Some friends have named their pets after famous authors, characters in books, movies, etc.  When trying to name a pet one question you should ask your self is what inspires you?  Science, religion, space, etc…  That is a great place to start.  But remember you need a name that is easy to call.  People who show their dogs usually give them long names like my friend whose dog’s official name is Desert Rose King of Hearts, but his call name is Desi.  Isn’t he a handsome boy?
 

 

I’ve noticed that with many of our dogs here in the rescue, we have nick names for them.  Sophia is called Sophie, Sofa, Sofa Bean, etc…  Princess Noel is just Princess.  One dog we had I think we tried 3 or 4 different names until we found one that was just right.  It’s ok to try a few.  You might have always had your heart set on a name like I did with Lancelot, and then wind up having to change it.  Sometimes the personality of the pet just doesn’t fit the name.
 

 

Personally we like unique names for our pets.  Some of them come already named and we usually keep those names for them, but sometimes we change it.  Either because it just doesn’t fit or because we already have a dog with that name.  I can’t tell you how many eskies we have had named Snow, Winter, Blizzard, Casper, etc…  Just because they are white.  If you do want to go for a common name like this, think about that word in a foreign language.  For example Winter in Croatian, Polish, and Slovenian is Zima.

 



Statistics say that over the course of your pet’s life, you will use their name over 35,000 times.  Take this into consideration when picking a name.  Also remember you will be using this name in public, so naming your dog Help is not a good idea.  Yes…this really happened.

So…I really want to know.  If you have a unique name for your pet, tell us what it is and how you came to name your pet.

Be Well & Be Happy,
Pet~Pourri

5 comments:

  1. My name is Dina and it came about when my Mom's Dad suggested it because his family's second Boxer was named that. It also made her feel sad when she learned that she died of some sort of worms at 6 months. Other options were: Coral, Broszka, Sporty and Uno.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a Corgi who we named Dabyria. She is named after a good friends "character" that he plays. Also have a corgi mix named Dash because he is quick to dash :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We wanted a 'Star Wars' name for our Siberian Husky. The obvious choices of 'Chewbacca' and 'Chewy' are over used so we opted for 'Jedi'. This was also the fastest way for me to become a Jedi Master.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a cat named Neutron and our dog came to us with the name of Clark (Griswald)! They both suit their names!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a friend that had 3 Eskies. She named them Peppermint, Candy, & Cane. I love seeing all the great names. Keep them coming. :)

    ReplyDelete