Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Myth’s About Shelters and a Tangent




My rescue is a breed specific rescue for American Eskimo Dogs.  We do take in other breeds if there is a need.  We’ve even been known to take in cats.  We’ve had dogs just left in our yard and even found a horse there one day.  People assume because we rescue dogs we will rescue anything.  I have to say…we did find the horses owner and return the wandering equine, but the cats had to be taken to another shelter.  I was reading this article today that debunks the top ten myths about Shelters.

If you think you know everything there is to know about animal shelters, this is a must read for you.  Especially #7.  I’ll have to admit that I was surprised by some of the myths listed.  I know a lot of these aren’t true.  But then I have to remind myself that I rescue dogs.  I know what is involved.  It still surprises me when people tell me they’ve never heard of breed specific rescue. 

One thing to remember for breed specific groups is that if you call wanting a dog and we don’t have one that fits what you are looking for, we can usually find one for you from another rescue we work with.  However, this does take time.  Don’t tell me on Monday you want this, this, this, and this and then two days later tell me you got a puppy from a breeder.  It will usually take me more than two days to find you a pup to fit what you are looking for.

A lot of people are also concerned about our adoption agreement and adoption fee.  We also require a home visit.  We are not going to go over your home with a fine tooth comb.  Usually by the time we get to the home visit stage we think you and a certain dog might fit, but we want to give you tips on how to prepare your home for a pet.  If we know the dog is an escape artist, we will walk around your yard and tell you what to fix to keep the pup from getting out.  For example, one dog we had would dig under the fence.  We had to take landscape staples to pin down the bottom of the fence to keep him from getting out.  Or the gap between your gate and fence may be too big and he might squeeze out.  Or he might like to get in the trash and we will advise you to get a covered garbage can or put it in a closet.   Believe me, we want these adoptions to work so doing a home visit is a good thing.

As for adoption fees, this image best explains why we charge what we do and why that is often not enough.
 

 

You may contact us wanting one dog you saw on our website, but that dog won’t be a good fit for what you are looking for.  The dog lives with us, we know what they are like.  However we might have a different dog that will be perfect for you.  We know the dogs and usually can get the feel of a person from the phone interview and home visit.  Trust us to offer you a dog that will work with your family and lifestyle.  More than anything we want your home to be the last home for the pup you are adopting from us.
 
After writing this blog, I realized I got off on a tangent, but I think this is still important information to share...so it is what it is.  :)


Be Well & Be Happy,
Pet~Pourri

No comments:

Post a Comment