Saturday, July 13, 2013

Lucky Kitten, Momma Cat, and an Eskie Reunion


This is the story of a very lucky kitten and a momma cat.  I wrote this blog last week venting about a kitten that had been dumped in the weeds in front of our house. If you read that blog, you will see why we call her Lucky Kitten.
 
 
Lucky Kitten
 

When my husband first went out to get her, he thought it was just her.  Later that evening when we came home from an evening out we saw a black cat on the grill behind the shelter.  She was meowing in the window and the kitten was meowing back to her.  I immediately thought 'I bet she’s the momma cat'.  We found evidence where she had been trying to get into the back window of the shelter.

We attempted to catch her to see if she was the momma and needed help, but she eluded us.  We tried for quite a while to get her, but she wasn’t having any of it.  So we left out a bowl of food and water and went to bed.  All night and the next day we could hear her meowing to the kitten and the kitten meowing back to her. 

Later the next morning I went out to water my flowers.  I could tell it was going to be a hot day.  As I was winding up the hose I heard momma cat.  She was under my husband’s van.  When I walked toward her she came up to the fence and was rubbing up against it.  I reached through the fence and she let me pet her and was rubbing up against my hand.  I stood slowly and reached over the fence.  She let me pet her again.  I loved on her for a bit and then made my move.

I grabbed her and picked her up to give her some loving and she let me.  When my husband came around the corner she flipped out and fought to get away.  She has a full set of claws, but never once used to them to scratch me and never bit me.  She just turned into this wriggling maniac until she finally got loose.  She took off into the woods. 

A few hours later she was back meowing to the kitten.  I went outside again and slowly approached her.  She let me pet her again and again I was able to catch her.  This time she wriggled from the beginning, but I got her into the shelter and when she saw the kitten she stopped fighting.  I held her up to the kennel we had the kitten in and you could tell they were momma and baby.  I put her in the kennel with the kitten and she was a happy momma cat again.
 
 
Momma Cat
 

It’s been about 4 days since then and we have been trying frantically to find homes for Momma Cat and Lucky Kitten.  We are a dog rescue and are just not set up to rescue cats.  We couldn’t bring them in the house because they would not be safe.  We have a couple of dogs that do not tolerate cats.  So they stayed in the shelter in a kennel.  I’ve been sending out pleas via e-mail and Facebook to try and find a home for these two and finally have safe places for them to go.

Lucky Kitten has been adopted locally and will have a great home.  Momma Cat though is not going to a new home.  We worked with the Nebraska Humane Society, Omaha NE last year to save a little Toy Eskie named Tinkerbell.  They have agreed to take in Momma Cat and have assured us that she will be safe until she can find a new home of her own.
 
 
Tinkerbell helping load Momma Cat
 

On Friday I drove out to the Atlantic Hy-Vee to meet a wonderful volunteer who has agreed to overnight Momma Cat until she can be taken to the shelter in Omaha.  This is the same volunteer who told us about Tinkerbell and fell in love with her. They also wound up adopting another dog several years ago who went from Illinois to Montana and then back to her in Nebraska when Montana didn’t work out.

So even though Momma Cat isn’t staying in Iowa, she will be safe until she can find a home of her own.  Sometimes we have to look farther away to rescue dogs and in this case, cats.  Transport is a part of what we do and it’s nice when we find volunteers to meet us part way. 
 
 
Group shot of all the volunteers at the Atlantic, IA Hy-Vee
 

We met up at the Hy-Vee in Atlantic, IA.  Our volunteer had also brought two of her Eskies with her, Luke and Princess Penny.  She had also rescued them from the NHS in Omaha.  So now along with a rescue transport for an abandoned cat, we had a full blown Eskie Reunion on our hands.  Our volunteer’s son had a special bond with Tinkerbell, so she came along on the trip.
 
 
Eskie Reunion & Rescue Transport
 

So this is the story of Lucky Kitten and Momma Cat.  Fortunately this tail of dumping turned into a success story, but it doesn’t always work out so well for dumped pets.  A few days ago I saw this story online stating instances of dogs being shot have increased lately.  What kills me about this story is that it was a vet who shot the dogs.  But what really kills me is that he refused to treat the dog after he shot it. Grrr

Long story short…don’t dump your pet.  It is not always a happy ending.

Be Well & Be Happy,
Pet~Pourri

 

1 comment:

  1. The tightrope is to keep my operators sufficiently entertained and engaged but not end up with so many trains that a headlight is appearing fence contractors portland

    ReplyDelete