Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Mixed Breeds or Designer Dogs Vs. Pure Breeds


Those of my readers who know me…know that I don’t approve of this Designer Dog fad.  They cost an exorbitant amount of money and they are just plain mutts. Not that there is anything wrong with mutts.  It’s just the price and the fad that drive me nuts.  J  A lot of people think that designer breeds are healthier than pure breeds because inherent diseases aren’t inbred in mixed breeds.
 
Puggle (mix of Pug and Beagle)
 

Well there is a study by UC Davis out now that debunks this myth.  According to this article, “research indicates that mixed breeds don't automatically have an advantage when it comes to genetic disorders.”

Researchers looked at over 90,000 records and 27,254 of them had at least one of 24 genetic disorders.  13 of the 24 disorders had the same ratio of occurrence in pure-bred and mixed breed dogs.  10 disorders were found more frequently in pure-bred dogs.  One was more common in mixed-breeds.
 
Schnoodle (mix of Schnauzer and Poodle)
 

Breeds that are similar, ie: mastiff type dogs, will most likely all carry a gene for a particular disorder, therefore a mix of two different breeds does not necessarily mean they won’t have that disorder.

So use your best judgment when deciding on the type of breed you want to adopt.  Do your research.  If you must adopt a Goldendoodle or a Puggle or another designer breed, research the types if disorders each breed has so you can be prepared to help your pup if they get one of those disorders. 
 
Goldendoodle (Mix of  Golden Retriever and Poodle)
 

I’m always touting research I know, but it really will benefit you and your relationship with your pet if you know in advance what you are getting into.  How many times have you made a spur of the moment decision…and regretted it. 
 
Maltipoo (mix of Maltise and Poodle)
 

Be Well & Be Happy,
Pet~Pourri

4 comments:

  1. I heartily agree on this. In the "old days", you had to give away puppies of mixed breed. Now, you pay obscene prices for "designer" breeds that are the same thing. Just because someone thought of naming it that. Or so-and-so celebrity was seen with one, and they became popular. I think it's ridiculous. And to say that the disorders and diseases are bred out is faulty. Unless you are a genetic scientist and can use that knowledge in your breeding, you wouldn't be able to isolate those traits and eliminate them.
    Thank you for posting this blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your own facts show mixed breads have less issues.Your also against the fad due to the price? A high priced dog will go to a family that has done its research and can afford to house and care for the dog its entire life. Cost is a direct affect to demand. You feel the demand is not justified, but offer no examples of why. I have had Golden's and now a Golden doodle. He and they are much calmer than both doodle and golden's. He has a lot of Golden characteristics I have loved and grown up with, as well as hypoallergenic for my wife. It is not a fit for you, but a great addition to our family and many others. I would have paid top dollar for a pure bread dog and would not have adopted. I paid a few extra hundred to insure a good fit with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never said I had a problem with mixed breed dogs. I love all dogs. My problem is the money people pay for mixed breeds (designer dogs). Golden doodles are beautiful dogs, but they are a mixed breed and paying $1,500 or more for one is ridiculous. Why not go get one from a shelter or rescue? They’ve been around a lot longer than the ‘designer’ ones? They were just called mutts before. Someone decided to add hype about them being hypoallergenic and all of a sudden they are worth way more money. Benji was around a long time before they became a fashion statement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a Pug and he was a rescue dog. He's been with me for 6 years and is a good nature dog. He only goes to the vet for his routine shots. I have never had any problem with him except he really enjoys chewing up anything that's not metal. He is a mutt and when I heard he was a designer dog I had no ideal people were doing this and making so much money. I think it is sad people would pay to have a dog at outrageous prices . All animals should feel love and know they are safe. I wished more people would adopt or rescue a dog in need. They do make a wonderful family addition. Jackson has a forever home... let's help other animals so they will too.

    ReplyDelete