Saturday, June 29, 2013

Behavior Change After Grooming


So I had a reader ask me to do some research on why dog’s behavior changes after grooming.  She has an adorable parti-colored cocker spaniel.  A cocker haircut is normally shaved on the top half and long flowing hair on the bottom half, this is called a skirt. 
 
 

Cocker spaniels do need regular grooming.  Whether you do it at home or have a professional do it, it is a must with this breed.  My reader states that his temperament is always different for a few days afterward.  She hears this is normal, but wonders why.  There are several reasons I have come up with in my research.
 
 

First, depending on how often you have your dog groomed, the sudden change can take a bit to get used to.  Think of how you act when you get a haircut.  If it is a major change, it takes you a while to get used to it.  I have long hair that I donate every year.  When I get 10-12 inches cut off, it takes me a long while to get used to short hair.  Same with your pup.  Think of how often a guy gets a buzz cut and how often you catch them rubbing their heads. 

A couple things you might want to check with your groomer is what kind of shampoo they used.  Could be an allergic reaction.  Is the hair cut shorter than normal?  Are you using a new groomer?  Ask the groomer if anything unusual happened during your pets visit.  Think of leaving your human child at day care.  You need to be involved with your groomer and make sure you know what is going on while you aren’t there.
 
 

If you are using a new groomer, even if they come highly recommended, always ask for references and contact those references.  Tell the groomer exactly what you want done and how short you want the hair cut.  Find out if they use a blow dryer or a kennel dryer.  Ask how long the pup sits in the kennel dryer.  Call the groomer a few times to see how things are going.  I know most groomers are going to cringe reading this, but if it is your first few visits you want to check to see how things are going.

Another thing to consider is how are you feeling before you drop your pup off.  Are you tense and nervous?  If so, your pet is picking up on that and will reflect that behavior.  They know you are nervous dropping them off, so they are already on alert that something is not right about the situation.  Keep yourself calm and keep your pup calm.  Go visit the groomer a few times, when you don’t have an appointment, with your pup so that you and your pup get acclimated to the new environment.  Then when you do go to have your pet groomed, it will seem like a normal activity.
 
 
 
Now some pups just don’t do well with grooming.  I groom all of our dogs personally.  Most do pretty good when I get out the grooming table and will come up to me excited for their turn because they get my undivided attention and loving.  I do have a couple that are challenges though.  Two of our pups I have to put muzzles on while grooming because they will try to take my hand off.  I talk calm to them and shower them with love and pets.  Tucker, who has been here for about 13 years now is much better, but I still have to muzzle him while grooming.  I can read the signs and see when he has had enough and let him go.  It usually takes two or three grooming sessions to get him done. 
 
Most professional groomers don’t have the amount of time I do though.  So you want to be aware of any issues.  Explain to the groomer exactly how your pup acts so they are aware of the problem.  If your pup is too hard to handle, they will usually contact you to come get your pup early.  Speak to your vet to see if you can give your pet a sedative like RescueRemedy to help keep them calm while grooming.  It will be easier for the groomer and your pet.
 
 

My best suggestion though is to visit the groomer a few times and let your pet get to know them and the groomer get to know your pet, off the grooming table.  When they become friends, the grooming will be much easier for both.  Make it an exciting and fun visit, like going to the dog park. If you treat it like a fun event, your pet will have fun. 

Whatever you do though…don’t do this to your poor dog.  LOL
 





 

Be Well & Be Happy,
Pet~Pourri

4 comments:

  1. Now I know that not all dogs have the same reaction with grooming. Those tips are very useful. And can I just say that those pictures are really amusing? So adorable! Hahaha! Thanks for sharing them! Anyway, more power to you and good luck with your future endeavors!

    Ashley Ziegler @ SF Hound Lounge

    ReplyDelete
  2. My shih zu was groomed Monday today is wensday been acting strange since but today as bite me not just a nip properly taken him the vets and nothing medical wrong with him he also bite the groomer which as never done before he has really come back a different dog any suggestions.. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I've been away for a while and just saw your comment. How old is your pup? Older pups often have joint issues and grooming can cause discomfort. Is it a groomer you have been using for a while? If not, you might want to stop in for an unscheduled visit to see how your dog reacts in that environment. If they act afraid, it might be time to find a new groomer. There are so many possibilities as to why your up is having issues. My best guess would be sore joints or an issue with the groomer. how is your pup acting now?

      Delete
  3. I adopted an year old Shih Tzu 4 weeks back. He usually is a happy go lucky dog. He sat patiently while he was getting groomed down there. Afterwards he started acting strange. He refuses to walk, wants to sit all day on a soft place like the bed or a pillow. His body is neither sore nor does he have any injury, but he is traumatized and scared after the grooming. He isn't my happy dog :(
    We got him groomed on Sunday and today is Wednesday. Please help

    ReplyDelete