Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Bladder Crystals and Stones in Cats

I’ve told you in a previous blog about my Magic Cat.  His name was Merlin.  He was a Lynx Point Siamese.  I called him my Magic Cat because he was so special.  He knew me so well and could read my moods and was always there when I needed him.  I am an avid reader and read a lot.  When he thought I wasn’t paying enough attention to him, he would climb up and lay on my chest right in the way of my book.  I knew it was time to give him some loving and attention.  Unfortunately I had Merlin before the advent of digital cameras.  The photos show what a Lynx Point Siamese look like, but are not photo's of my Merlin.



One of our favorite games to play was me spinning him around on the carpet.  I would be down on my hands and knees and he would lay in front of me.  I would put my hand on his chest, just behind his front legs and spin him around on the carpet.  He LOVED it.  He also loved to pounce my husband.  Where we used to live there was a hallway between the living room and kitchen.  I had a book case against the living room wall near the entry to the hallway.  Merlin would wait in front of that book case for my husband to walk into the living room.  He would then jump out and wrap his front legs around my husband’s ankle and my husband would drag him through the living room.
 
 
 

My Magic Cat knew me so well…but I didn’t know him so well and I failed him.  Merlin was my very first pet when I moved out of my Grandmother’s house and into my own apartment.  The very first thing I did after I moved in was adopt Merlin and his sister Morgana.  Morgana was a Burmese.  I adopted them in 1989 and Merlin died in 1994.  I first noticed something was wrong when he started meowing loudly when he was using his litter box.  I thought that was strange, but really didn’t think much about it until it persisted for several days.  Then I noticed blood in his urine.  I took him to the vet and was informed that he had crystals in his bladder. 
 
Our vet told us that the cause was a combination of our well water and the cat food we were feeding him.  Merlin loved Deli Cat.  Well water is high in mineral content.  His bladder was full of crystals.  The vet flushed his bladder gave us some medication and sent us home.  It wasn’t very long before Merlin was back at the vet.  The crystals had caused an infection and the infection had gone to his brain.  Merlin was having seizures.  Our vet tried everything he could to save him.  He even took Merlin home with him that night and slept on the floor next to him so that he could monitor him.  He locked his own cats out of the room so that he could concentrate on Merlin.
 
 

Unfortunately, unless I wanted to pay for a very expensive brain surgery, with no guarantee of success, there was nothing that could be done for Merlin.  We made the decision to end his suffering.  I brought him home for one last night and then took him in the next day to let him go.  Merlin was the first cat I ever had to let go.  It was one of the hardest things I have ever done.  I was an emotional wreck for days after that. 

My purpose for writing this blog is not to reminisce about Merlin, but to send a warning to my readers about the danger of crystals in the bladder.  The crystals are formed from the minerals found in poor quality cat food and well water. They can vary in size getting as large as a quarter.  The problem with these are that they could cause damage to the lining of the bladder (crystals can be sharp and cut the bladder.  This is what happened with Merlin), or get caught in the ureter blocking the cats ability to urinate.  If the blockage goes unnoticed it can be fatal.
 

 
So, how can you tell if your cat has bladder stones or crystals?

  • Blood in the urine (hematuria)
  • Painful urination
  • Straining to urinate
  • Frequent urination
  • Genital licking
  • Chronic urinary tract infections
  • Urinary tract obstruction (especially in males)
  • Urine spraying
  • Passing urine in unusual places
 

Our problem was a combination of the cat food we were feeding Merlin and the Well Water where we lived at the time.  Here is a link with information on the most common mineral contents of well water.

Sometimes a cat will not show any clinical signs, which is what happened with Merlin.  What alerted me was his crying while trying to urinate and then the blood in his urine.  It is important to know your cat and know his/her behavior.  If your cat is not acting normally and you suspect something is wrong, have it checked out.  If I would have noticed sooner that Merlin was not his normal self, he might have been with me for many, many more years.  Who would have thought that crystals in his bladder would have cause and infection in his brain?  From that moment on, we have only given our pets bottled or filtered water and good quality food.

Be Well & Be Happy,
Pet~Pourri

No comments:

Post a Comment